Women's Healing Service
“Sisters doing it for themselves”
The Women’s Healing Service is the newest service from PICC.
Program Service delivery is scheduled to be delivered to the Townsville Women’s Correctional Centre in November 2019.
The Women’s Healing Service is a Service that aims to support our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women whilst incarcerated and when released from Townsville Women’s Correctional Centre.
Activities provide trauma-informed practices, are holistic and culturally driven and provide opportunity for empowerment and self-healing.
Through our regular group-based Yarning Circle we will:
- Work with our Women to assist their reconnection to Family.
- Work with our women to reduce their risk of reoffending and assist them to transition back into their Community.
- Work with our women to assist them with parenting practices that are culturally focused and have positive outcomes for their families.
- Work with our women to ensure they receive information and education, that allow for them to make informed decisions.
- Work with our women to ensure they have a safe and supportive environment to enable them to participate meaningfully in our Programs.
This program initiative is in response to the Queensland Parole System Review recommendations 18 and 27:
- 18. Queensland Corrective Services should deliver a greater variety of rehabilitation programs to address the specific and complex needs of women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners and offenders and increase the availability of those programs.
- 27. Queensland Corrective Services should increase delivery and should develop new rehabilitation programs specifically designed for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For further information about the Women’s Healing Service, please contact the PICC Townsville office on 4421 4300.
SIGN UP NOW. Get all of our latest updated by signing up to our newsletter.