Bwgcolman Healing Service
If you have any flu-like symptoms, including a fever (particularly above 37·5°C), cough, headache, sore throat or shortness of breath, it is important that you seek medical care early.
Prior to visiting the clinic, please contact us via phone on 4445 4401 to book an appointment, and tell us that you have COVID-19 symptoms.
Walk-in patients not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms are very welcome.
Bwgcolman Healing Service
Our reception staff are available to help patients access services when they need them. Receptionists can help you to:
- book an appointment with a Doctor.
- book appointments with Allied Health Professionals or Specialists as referred by a Doctor.
- see an Aboriginal Health Worker.
- be triaged by a Nurse for urgent care.
- book transport to and from the clinic.
- call, text or send letters to patients regarding appointment reminders.
Our medical clinic is located at 4 Main Street, Palm Island. Doctors, Health Workers and Nurses are always onsite during opening hours.
Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 9.00pm
Friday 8.30 to 4.30pm
Closed Saturday, Sunday and on Public Holidays
Our team includes: Doctors, nurses, Aboriginal Health Workers, Care Coordinators, Eye Health Coordinator, Hearing Health Coordinator, ITC Coordinator, Dietitian, Diabetic Educator, Exercise Physiologist, Podiatrist, Speech Therapist, Physiotherapist, Allied Health Assistants, Psychologists, Cleaners, Drivers, and project and administration staff.
We work in partnership with the Townsville Hospital and Health Service (THHS) and other providers to ensure that our patients have access to a range of specialist and allied health services on-site.
Allied Health Services
- Diabetic Foot Clinic (QH)
- Chronic Kidney Disease Clinic (QH)
- Optometrist (Optic Superstore)
- Chiropractor (various)
- Occupational Therapist (Apricus Health)
- Audiologist (Hearing Australia)
- Cardiac Echos (Heart of Australia)
- Cardiac Stress (Heart of Australia)
- Cardiology (QH and Heart of Australia)
- Gastroenterology (Heart of Australia and QH)
- Sleep Studies (Heart of Australia)
- Paediatric Cardiologist (QH)
- Paediatrician (QH)
- Endocrinologist (QH)
- IROC (QH)
- Gynaecologist (QH/Women’s Health Circle)
- Geriatrician (QH)
We have a triage system in place to improve patient flow in the clinic. Our clinic welcomes booked appointments and walk-in patients (Note: walk-in patients may experience long wait times for non-urgent care, we encourage appointment bookings for health checks, care plans, scripts and for forms that need to be completed).
Patients diagnosed with chronic conditions can book an appointment with a Doctor anytime (we encourage patients to book their appointments in advance to secure on time consults with their Doctor). Chronic care is supportive and education is available with an emphasis on self-management and self-directed care. Your Doctor will refer you to allied health professionals and specialists as needs arise.
To book an appointment, simply call the reception desk at the clinic on 4445 4401.
Women’s and Children’s Health
The Women’s and Children’s Health Centre offers a broad range of services including:
- Health Checks, care planning and referrals
- Pap Smears
- Advice on contraception and family planning
- Advice on nutrition
- Antenatal care and scans
- Postnatal care
- Breastfeeding support
- Babies and children’s immunisations
- Parental support
- Sexual health screening, education and treatments
- All women’s health business
Please note: Dads are always welcome to bring their bubbas and children to the Women and Children’s clinic, or they can drop into the main medical clinic if they feel more comfortable doing so.
The GP After Hours clinics operate 4 nights per week, these clinics are staffed by male Doctors, if men have any specific Men’s Business issue to consult about, these clinics offer a perfect opportunity to do so. Male Health Workers are also available Monday to Friday daytime and evening, please feel welcome to ask our friendly staff to speak with a male if this is preferred.
Our team focus on various health promotion activities to support knowledge development and education across the community. Health Promotion activities include but are not limited to:
- Diabetes prevention
- Healthy lifestyle for prevention of chronic conditions
- Child and adolescent health
- Anaemia in children and women
- BBV/STI prevention
- Social and emotional wellbeing
Dental Appointments (Adults)
Queensland Health operates a Dental Clinic in the health service on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Patients can book an appointment by phoning the Dental hotline: 4433 8964
If you need help to book an appointment, please speak with a Health Worker, Nurse or Receptionist (they will help to secure an appointment).
Note: Adult Dental Services are free to Concession Card holders; fees apply to all other patients.
Dental Appointments (Children)
The Oral Health Team visits the schools on Monday, the phone number to book an appointment is 0408 760 546 (Note: this phone is only manned on Mondays). Children’s dental care is free.
Tackling Indigenous Smoking (TIS)
The TIS program focuses on population health promotion activities to prevent the uptake of smoking, promoting smoking cessation (quit smoking), and reducing exposure to second-hand smoke. Specific areas of interest include:
- Preventing or stopping smoking during pregnancy
- Preventing smoking and vaping amongst children and youth
SIGN UP NOW. Get all of our latest updated by signing up to our newsletter.